Adoption fees per bird (all fees include the birds cage IF the bird has a cage, so please ask! If you choose to purchase a cage, please run it by our adoption coordinator as we do have minimum cage size requirements):
Parakeets – $100
Cockatiels – $100
Quaker Parrots: $150
Parrotlets, Indian Ringnecks: $300
Crimson Rosella: $150
Senegals, Lories, Meyers, Caiques, large Asiatic species (such as Alexandrine Parrots): $300
Jardine Parrots, Pionus, Amazons, Miniature Macaws (Hahns, Severe, Illigers, Yellow-Collared), Small Cockatoos (Goffins Cockatoos, Bare-Eye Cockatoos, Long-Billed Cockatoos, etc…) African Grays: $500
Eclectus Parrots: $500
Large (other) Cockatoos (M2′s, U2′s, Sulfur Crested Cockatoos, Citron Cockatoo, Triton Cockatoos, etc..) $650
Large (other) Macaws (B&G’s, Scarlet’s, Greenwing’s, etc..): $650
Benefits of Adopting from Florida Parrot Rescue:
• All of our birds have been to one of the many avian veterinarians we use across the state of Florida. Each bird – regardless of size or species – has been given a full well bird check with either a full physical with a fecal gram stain and cultures or a physical with blood work (or both – this is determined by the veterinarian). Some birds have multiple veterinarian visits before they are placed up for adoption. Any dogs or cats we have available for adoption will be spayed/neutered, up to date on vaccinations, and on flea and heartworm medications.
• All of our birds have either been converted to a healthy diet or we are working on converting the bird and will help you continue that process if needed.
• If the bird you are interested in adopting has its own cage, your adoption fee will include that cage. This is a value of anywhere from $50-$500, depending on the cage. (98% of the birds we have available for adoption do have their own cage).
• Your adoption allows you to purchase parrot food and cages at discounted prices directly from the rescue, almost always below retail prices.
• Your adoption includes any follow up phone and/or e-mail consultations for education, nutrition, and behavior – if needed – at no charge.
• Most importantly, your adoption fee pays for the next animal in need of a home. Without this fee, we could not take in another animal. Your adoption fee saves the life of another!
A NOTE ON ADOPTION FEES: Please understand that our adoption fees help us cover vetting costs for the birds in rescue. Every bird that comes into Florida Parrot Rescue is vetted, regardless of size or species, and adoption fees rarely cover those expenses. We could not perform these critical and necessary services without those funds or without the generous donations from our followers and donors whose contributions help maintain our efforts. We ask that you please respect and appreciate that those fees are in place for specific reasons – mainly to support our continued effort in helping birds in need – and that no one except our birds benefit from those revenues. We will not entertain arguments over adoption fees.
Our recommended MINIMUM cage requirements are:
Parakeets, Lovebirds 25″w x 17″d
Cockatiels, Quakers: 27”w x 24”d
Ringnecks, Conures, Pionus, Lories, Meyers, Senegals: 32”w X 23”d
African Greys, Small Cockatoos, Eclectus, Amazons, Small Macaws: 36”w x 28”d
Larger Cockatoos and Macaws: 48”w x 36”d
We recommend 64”w x 32”d or 80”w x 40”d cages for the larger birds (Moluccans and Greenwing Macaws).
Make sure bar spacing is appropriate for your bird.
If you feel that a parrot would make a good gift for a friend, child, or significant other, please read the book The Lonely Parrot by Lisa Kelley. Please understand that we do not allow adoptions to take place as gifts. We do require that the person who will be caring for the bird fill out the application and go through the process. We also require that all family members in the home be aware of the potential adoption and that they all be available for the in home consult and the pre-adoption visit with the animal. Please be advised that we do NOT adopt to breeders nor allow breeders to foster.
See our current adoptable animals.